Second Form Latin continues the journey of Latin grammar. Designed for students and teachers with no Latin background, Second Form reviews all material in First Form and completes the verb paradigms for all four conjugations in the indicative active and passive, and much more.
With Second Form, students will have crossed the halfway mark on their Latin journey! Second Form employs the identical format of First Form—an attractive, concise student text, systematic presentation in five units, extensive workbook exercises, and a teacher manual with everything you need to successfully teach this course.
After mastering Second Form, the student will have mastered:
- 6 indicative active and passive tenses of all four verb conjugations
- 5 noun declensions including er-ir nouns and i-stem nouns
- Adjectives in 3 declensions
- Personal pronouns
- 180 new vocabulary words
Based on twenty years of teaching experience, this revolutionary new series will be your guide as you and your students continue to successfully climb the mountain of Latin Grammar all the way to the top! The uniqueness of the Forms Series lies in two features:
- It is committed to the trivium model of teaching grammar systematically in order to facilitate retention and understanding, rather than topically, to facilitate translation.
- Extensive workbook exercises ensure skills mastery and rapid recognition of inflected forms.
Constructed in the same format as First Form, features of Second Form include:
- Designed for students and teachers with no Latin background
- 8×8 inch student text, small, concise, unintimidating with 35 two-page lessons on facing uncluttered pages
- Limited vocabulary of 180 words
- Full-size student workbook with 4-6 pages of exercises per lesson
- Vocabulary derivatives and detailed explanations of Latin sayings
- Grammar catechism for daily rapid-fire review
- Milestone markers for each grammar objective
- Everything-you-could-possibly-need teacher manual
- Binder organization for easy access
- Student Text inset with answers
- Chalk-talk scripted lessons
- Recitation schedule
- Pronunciation reminders
- Workbook with key
- Unit tests and lesson quizzes
- FYI section for extra background
The Forms Latin Series grammar-first approach focuses on grammar forms and vocabulary because those are the grammar stage skills suitable for the grammar stage student. However, the Forms Series is for students of all ages because all beginners, regardless of age, are in the grammar stage of learning. Syntax (how to use the grammar) and translation are logic and rhetoric stage skills, respectively, and quickly overwhelm students unless they are introduced at a slow, gentle pace and taught for mastery.
Second Form is the ideal follow-up to First Form Latin or Latina Christiana II at any age. Now every school and homeschool can have a truly successful Latin program that creates Latin scholars rather than Latin drop-outs.